top of page
  • Facebook


scroll DOWN to find a step-by-step guide


Bayside suburbs need to be liveable, with appropriate development that supports population growth and the creation of jobs, but that isn't over-development.


Peaceful Bayside wants to see ensure proposed planning developments:

  • Preserve heritage;

  • Embrace design that complements community and environmental needs;

  • Are proportionate and in keeping with the surrounding areas;

  • Include green and community spaces, allowing for trees and sunlight.

The NSW state government has housing targets to meet, but we must ensure their targets for Bayside are realistic. Bayside should not be overburdened with Sydney's housing requirements. 


We also need to have the infrastructure to support additional development, for example;

  • Are local schools already oversubscribed?

  • Will enough car parking spots be provided?

  • How will local roads cope with the additional traffic?

  • Is public transport adequate to support the additional locals? 

Even taking into account that the airport and port are within the boundaries of the Bayside local government area (LGA), Bayside has the lowest tree canopy in NSW. Development that comes from good planning also factors in the heat island effect and how damaging its effects can be.

Are you concerned about a development Application (DA)?
Residents can make submissions about whether they support or object to a proposed development. The following is a guide on how to make a submission on a local development application.


Requirements for residents' submissions, including deadlines, can be viewed at Bayside Council's DA Tracker.

Use the address of the proposal or the DA number in the DA Tracker to locate the development. 


All advertised documents for a planning application can be viewed in the DA Tracker. We advise focusing on the "Statement of Environmental Effects" report, which contains information whether a proposed development falls outside the Local Environmental Plan (LEP).

Making a submission

A submission must be made individually. You can also submit a petition or joint objection to a local government councillor to present at a council meeting.

A resident’s submission on a development application must:

  • be made in writing

  • reference the planning application and property address to which it relates to 

  • include the contact details of the person objecting.

Submissions can be lodged by email and by post at the following addresses and should be made during the prescribed advertising period noted in the DA Tracker:

Postal address:
Bayside Council

PO Box 21

Rockdale NSW 2216

Another View of 251 - 275 Bay Street.png
251 - 275 Bay Street.png
Over-development II.png
Traffic on TGP.png
Over-development - Arncliffe.png
Over-development - vegetation.png
Over-development - noise.png


The reasons for your submission must be clearly explained in the submission. Make submissions that are based on legitimate planning grounds, rather than premised on moral or emotional grounds.

It is best to express your thoughts in your own words in bullet points, describing how each issue affects you and/or the local area.

Typical grounds of a submission may include:


Character: Does the development respect and reflect the existing neighbourhood character? Common neighbourhood characteristics that may be impacted include:

  •  Lot size, shape and topography;

  •  Streetscape;

  •  Setbacks and building height;

  •  Architectural style, including eaves, roof and building form;

  •  Landscaping;

  •  Front fence;

  •  Building materials;

  •  Location of car parking; and

  •  Location and size of private open space.

Will the proposed buildings impact on the outlook of neighbours and dominate private open space areas? Bulk can be reduced by increasing setbacks of building to boundaries, incorporating single-storey components and incorporating features such as verandahs and windows.

Traffic congestion: Consider how and why the development will unreasonably increase traffic in your neighbourhood and what the impacts of this may be.

Car parking: Is there adequate car parking provided on the site? If not, consider whether this may unreasonably impact existing parking availability in the neighbourhood that cannot be mitigated through, for example, access to public transport.


Overshadowing: Consider whether the development will create unreasonable overshadowing of surrounding properties or the neighbourhood. Shadow diagrams accompany larger development applications.


Overlooking/loss of privacy: Consider whether overlooking into secluded private open space areas and habitable room windows of adjoining properties is reasonable. Have adequate measures been put in place, eg. raising sill heights or fitting fixed external screens, to restrict overlooking?

Loss of vegetation: Vegetation loss can significantly impact on neighbourhood character and the landscape and environmental quality of an area. Consider if any such proposal is reasonable and permitted.

Drainage: Consider whether the development will unreasonably impact the storm water drainage system in the area. On-site storm water detention systems may alleviate some of the impact.

Residential noise: Noise generation can cause significant loss of amenity. Consider whether the development will introduce unreasonable noise levels in breach of Environmental Protection Authority standards.

bottom of page